Homemade Plum Pie Recipe
Plum pie recipe
Looking for a tasty dessert idea
This homemade plum pie recipe will tick all the boxes.
The pie crust makes this plum pie standout from the rest. It tastes and looks amazing, it’s just about to pretty to eat.
This pie base is not a standard sweet pie base recipe it’s a bit more like a shortcake, it’s soft and melts in your mouth.
When it comes to plums season it’s hard to keep up with all the plums, because they always come ripe at the same time.
I personal like my plums just a little under ripe I just can’t eat an over ripe plum, but luckily I love to bake with them. This recipe can also be made with canned plum.
Homemade plum pie
Because this pie base is more like a shortcake it’s a bit softer and sticky, therefore it is hard to roll out as its so soft, for that reason make sure you chill the dough for at least 30 minutes and roll out when cold and flour your work surface well.
Homemade plum pie recipe
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 150 grams butter salted
- 1 egg
- 3 cups plums – chop in quarters and stone removed About 15 large plums
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cut plums into quarter and remove stones
- Add plum and sugar to saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix corn flour and water together in small dish. Then add to plum mix and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Set aside until needed.
- This plum mix can be made up the day before and stored in fridge until need.
- Cream butter and sugar together until pale
- Add egg and continue to beat for another minute
- Fold in flour and baking powder
- Chill mix in fridge for at least 30 minutes
- Roll out two-thirds of the pastry on floured surface. Line your pie dish with pastry and fill with plum mix
- Roll out the remaining pastry and slice into strips and arrange on top of plums pie.
- Bake in a pre-heated 180°c (356°f) oven on fan bake for 40- 45 minutes